Monday 27 October 2008

What! You Don't Believe in Aliens?

Casey, one of my Stats students, didn't believe in the evidence of alien intelligence on Earth. I decided that I would have to convince him with the one most certain piece of evidence imaginable, so I asked, "You know what a thremos bottle is, right; so what happens if I put hot coffee in a thermos?"

Casey: "It stays hot." almost as a question

ME: "Yes.... and what if I put cold milk in the thermos,,,, what then?"

Casey, uncertainly: "Ummm... well, ..it stays cold."

ME: " Un Huh... (in triumph) and HOW does the thermos know which I put in????" with a slow wink and a finger tapping the side of the head


I'm sure that Casey now believes, but if you are one of those people who STILL doesn't believe there is other intelligent life in the universe, here is the incontrovertable proof you have been waiting for from John Hodgman. A story about aliens, physics, time, space and the way all of these somehow contribute to a sweet, perfect memory of falling in love.

No comments: